Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Cade's Evaluation

Monday was Cade's evaluation for Sensory Processing Disorder. The day started badly when Cade had to be woken up in order to get ready for his appointment. He had a major, screaming meltdown that we have learned is a part of his sensory issues. I had hired a babysitter for the day so that no distracting brothers would be present for the appointment. I had arranged for the babysitter to arrive at 9 so that I could make it to his 9:30 appointment in plenty of time. When she still had not arrived by 9:12, I called her (she lives around the corner) and she told me that she would be there in 5 minutes. That was very irritating!! I finally am able to leave for the appointment at 9:23!!! I had to call them and tell them that I would be 15 minutes late - so annoying!

(Stacey, if you read this next section then please feel free to correct me, educate me, or expand on my thought processes)

Cade's evaluation went like we expected. The occupational therapist was wonderful. She really listened to what I told her. I had to fill out some forms and she did some testing with Cade. It is really hard to watch your child struggle at something that you know should be easy for him. It was very clear to her that Cade does indeed have Sensory Processing Disorder (sometimes called Sensory Integration Disorder). His main areas of difficulty are auditory (he is very sensitive to sounds, sounds can send him into meltdown mode especially if he is trying to concentrate on something) and motor planning (dyspraxia - I think that is spelled correctly). Motor planning is the ability to figure out the order that things need to be done and the ability to be able to put the segments together. This is why Cade has such a hard time at soccer, he cannot put the individual elements together. This is why he sometimes cannot figure out that he should do A, B, then C. He might try to do C first or he might do A and then C and then B. Cade will need to start therapy as soon as possible. He will be going twice a week at first. Unfortunately, there is a waiting list to start therapy. The therapist really wants Cade to start before he starts school but she does not believe that it will happen that soon. It is so frustrating that it takes so long to get him the help that he needs. We started this process back in January!!

Mark and I are not surprised by the official diagnosis. We had both accepted the fact that this was what has been going on with Cade. We have both been reading and researching and learning some techniques. We are both so sad for Cade. It is incredibly hard to watch your child struggle. The future holds many obstacles for him. I have a lot of fear for him. I don't want him to be labeled as a behavior problem - he is not. He wants to please and he is incredibly loving and snuggly. I don't want him to struggle in school. He is very bright but I am afraid that his struggles will get in the way of his learning. I fear that he will learn to dislike school. He is super excited about Kindergarten, I don't want him to dread school in the future. I worry that he won't get the right teacher. I am concerned that he will begin to struggle socially when his differences become more apparent to other children. I love him so much that I become very emotional about his future. I hope that I can be the right kind of mom for him, a mom who can help him learn to deal with his differences. A mom who can teach him that he truly can accomplish whatever he wants to accomplish. A mom who can show him that everyone has challenges and everyone has gifts. I want him to be equipped to deal with his challenges. I never want him to use his challenges as a crutch. I want him to feel in his soul that God designed him just the way he is for a reason. I want him to realize his blessings. Is all of that too much to ask?

If you have taken the time to read my novel, please say a prayer for my sweet Cade. My heart hurts for him.

11 comments:

See-Dub said...

I'm praying, Jenna! I'm praying for Cade and for you and Mark. You're already the right kind of mom for Cade and all your boys, but I'll pray that you can find relief from the worry and find comfort in our peace-giving, always loving Father.

Y'all are fantastic parents, and Cade is so blessed to have you two as his mom and dad!

tamandscott said...

I am also praying and second see-dub's comment. Y'all are WONDERFUL parents and are going to help him through this. I will pray that therapy will be soon and successful for Cade. He is such a great kid! I love watching him during the singing portion of class.

Amy C said...

I love your sweet Cade. As long as we keep praying and squeezing on him, he will be fine.

You are like Wonder Woman. I can't think of a more patient woman. Your a great mom.

PB said...

I will pray for Cade and all the family. Have peace in knowing that God has placed Cade with the most capable parents he could have. Remember God does not give you more than you can handle he knows your abilities and that your are capable. You too will find out your are capable of everything you mentioned, just the fact that you are already thinking about it proves it. Cade will surprise you in his abilities as he gets older. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Danielle said...

You are the BEST mom for Cade! I am so sure that you and Mark will do everything possible to make sure he reaches his God given potential in all he does. We will pray now for you guys and specifically for his kindergarten teacher. Just a side note, we have had some questionable times with this pregnancy about the health of the baby and "what ifs" have really crept into my daily thought process. God has really used "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow to help me with my outlook. I would still love to get together sometime soon! You're in our prayers!

Beth said...

We will be praying for all of you. I understand all of your concerns! You are a great mother and the Lord will lead you in what to do for Cade. Teachers are so important for his success! If the fit is not right from the beginning, change his class. We learnded that the hard way. Keep your eyes on the Lord for your strength and take one day at a time.

Anonymous said...

I know it's been a frustrating time line so far, but at least you've made it one step further...hang in there. I know you don't need me to tell you how much I love sweet Cade...and I'm confident God is going to help you guys through this. Easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about the future and focus on helping him just one day at a time. Without a doubt you are truly an amazing mom & God has given you all the gifts you need to care for Cade and all 4 of your precious boys. Trust in that and I pray God bring some comfort and patience to you guys as you wait for therapy to start. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I will emphasize what everyone else has said and what is obvious to me without even knowing you very well! Cade is already ahead of the game just because he has you and Mark and his wonderful brothers (and other great support!) on his side.

Let's talk about the waiting part.

Jennifer said...

Jenna, I'm praying!!

Tami said...

Thomas and I are praying for Cade and your whole family!

Anonymous said...

God will certainly take care of Cade and will help you and Mark too. God will give him the right teachers and he will take care of him. You are terrific parents and he knows that he is loved. I know it is so hard to watch your own child struggle, because you want them to do so well. God will help all of you through this! I'll be praying for you!

Mistee