Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cade and Chase Update

Cade's evaluation went very well. He met the cute, sweet evaluator and gave her a big hug! He was evaluated by two people. I really appreciate how sweet they were with Cade and how they truly listened to what I was telling them. At this evaluation, they just tested his cognitive skills and his speech (the areas that I am not worried about). He scored average in his speech and above average with his cognitive skills so no worries there. They also stated that they are not concerned at all that he is autistic. I really felt that autism was not a concern but it is nice to hear it from "professionals". I described my concerns about Cade and some of the behaviors that he is exhibiting. They are getting him set up for an evaluation with the Occupational Therapist. That is who can help us with the sensory problems. I really appreciate that they took my concerns seriously. He will most likely meet with the OT sometime during the week of April 9th. We will see where we go from there.

Chase had his quarterly growth doctor appointment. The first time we met with this doctor he started to examine Cade. At first, I thought he was just being nice to Cade. I finally realized that he thought Cade was the patient so we straightened everything out. This time he started examining Cade again!! We had to point out the patient - again! Cade found that to be hysterical. Chase continues to grow very well. He is creeping up to the 25th percentile. We think he will be there by his next appointment. He is now 52 inches tall!! The doctor told me that the 1st 4 years of the therapy are the catch up years. Chase will hit the anniversary of his 3rd year of treatment in July. The doctor told me that a normal growth rate for a child is 4 to 6 cm. per year. He stated that they want to see yearly growth of 6 to 8 cm. when a child is on therapy. Chase is growing at 8 cm. a year so the doctor is very pleased with his progress. The doctor also gave approval to just give the shots in his arms and his legs. Chase was very happy about that because he does not like bottom shots!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

that is so great that everything came back good on Cade. He's so sweet!

I am also so thrilled that Chase is growing at such a fast rate. Yeah!!!

Danielle said...

YEAH! I've been praying for Cade. I'm sure they will be able to help you with the sensory issues and believe me, it is a blessing that more isn't involved. I've seen lots of kiddos with many different problems on their plate and helping them is so much more difficult. I'm also glad you felt comfortable with the thearapists. We'll keep praying!

Prince Edward said...

I was happy to read that both of these appointments went great. We will be thinking about your family as you learn more helpful information.

We need another park meet-up soon!

Alyssa said...

Great news on both boys... it sounds like had a good experience with Cade's evaluation and have a strong avenue to explore with OT... keep us posted :)

See-Dub said...

Yippee! How nice to hear someone agree that Cade's not autistic. And hooray for Chase's growth--and arm/leg shots! We'll keep praying!

Amy C said...

Yeah Chase and Cade!