Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Teachers

Rhonda was her name. I remember her always sitting quietly at her desk with her head down. She was the kind of girl who tried to hide behind her bangs. She rarely spoke, and only if it was required. She rarely moved. She wanted to disappear. My classmates and I were just 7th graders but somehow we knew that she had enough abuse in her life and she didn't need any more. Kids can be cruel at that age, but we never teased Rhonda. We tried to talk to her but she did not want to be seen so conversations were impossible. Eventually, she just existed around us. One time she wet her pants in class. We all figured out what had happened, but we all pretended not to know. That compassionate teacher made up a reason for all of us to leave the classroom so that she could help Rhonda without embarrassing her. Kindness. Then there was another teacher who was not so kind. We were in science class when the teacher made a statement then she asked Rhonda a question from the statement. Rhonda didn't know or didn't have the strength to answer in front of an entire classroom. She remained silent. The teacher told her the answer and then asked the question again and still Rhonda remained silent. The teacher proceeded to berate her and finally ended with this gem, "Rhonda, a tape recorder is more intelligent than you are." I could never look at that teacher with respect again. The power of words.

Then there was my 4th grade teacher. An excellent teacher. We would beg to be able to play the vocabulary game on Friday. Fourth graders begging to look up words in a dictionary! How did she do that? My 5th grade teacher had a way of making you feel that you were distasteful to her, but she taught us a lot. My high school English teacher was excellent. She expected good work from you with no excuses. She gave difficult assignments that taught lessons that I still use today. Every time I write "a lot" I think of her. She always stressed the fact that it is 2 separate words, not "alot". It is hard to even make myself type it the wrong way. Teachers matter.

My boys have been so fortunate to have good teachers. Chase's Kindergarten teacher was wonderful. She made him feel so special and taught him to love learning. (Thanks, Danielle) Plus, he thought she was pretty and he has always been a sucker for a pretty girl. Chase and Dylan had the same 1st and 2nd grade teachers. Both of them are amazing teachers. The kind of teachers who love their students. They see their students' strengths and they have an amazing ability to help students' overcome weaknesses. I hope my boys always get teachers that help them to learn and teach them kindness.

Of course, the most influential teacher of my boys is me. I can't say that I am the best teacher all of the time. Just today I hear Chase telling Cade "Cade, your shoes are right here" in the most annoyed tone he could muster. Did I teach him that tone? At times I have to finish some work and the boys want my attention. I send them away - What did they learn? I hope in the end that my good lessons build them up more than my less than stellar moments bring them down. There are so many things that I want them to learn.

Anyone else want to share memorable teacher stories?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow Jenna, you really made me reflect what kind of teacher I used to be. I hope that one day all my previous students will have great stories to share about times in my room. You are so right about how words are so important. Wonder where Rhonda is today?

Funny you mention about "teaching" the boys lessons or tones. I walk the mall some mornings before it opens for exercise and there is a large sign with a sweet little girl and it says "every time you scream and fight, you teach her a lesson" basically saying that when parents fight, they teach their children something. Very sad.

Thanks for reminding me how important it is to teach my boys by example!

Amy C said...

That was a really touching story. I think you are a great mommy. I guess that makes you the best teacher of all! It is good for us all to remember how our words impact others. Sometimes for the rest of thier lives! There is power in what we say, and especially in how we say it!