Friday, March 23, 2007

Worry

Posted by Picasa

The part of parenting that I was least prepared for is the worry. Your child sleeps later than normal and you worry that it is because they are not breathing. You fight the urge to go in and wake them up. Your child acts so silly around their friends and you worry that someone will make fun of them. You worry about your kids getting hurt, you worry about your kid hurting others, you worry about how they will do in school, you worry that other kids will like them, you worry that your kids are getting sick, you worry that your kids got other kids sick, you worry that you are not spending enough time with your kids, and you worry that you will be asked to pay for the therapy that they will require because of the scars that you are giving them. Worry, worry, worry. I have a feeling that the worry will never go away.

Mark and I have been worried for a while about Cade. My sweet, lovable Cade. He has always been a unique child. I remember as an infant he would rarely fall asleep in the car - I thought all babies slept in the car! As he got older, he became a "dramatic" child. The way you approach him could mean the difference between a screaming mess and a compliant child. We learned the tricks and could deal with Cade's "uniqueness". He has gone to the same preschool for years and they can handle his meltdowns. We kept waiting for him to grow out of it. It's not happening.

Mark and I have often joked that Cade is a bit OCD. Honestly, he is a bit OCD. He has a specific spot at the table and he gets very upset if anyone else sits in HIS spot. He was a dream to potty train because he didn't want the mess. He is a boy who likes things in their place. His OCD tendencies are not necessarily a problem, but they can make life more difficult.

Cade has other issues that make me think that he has sensory problems. He reacts the same to a minor injury (a slight scrape) as he does to a major injury (like when he broke his arm). I observed him when he tried to answer a question in his Sunday school class and someone barely spoke next to him and Cade completely lost it. I worry that something may be going on with his gross motor skills. He falls down for no reason and he is often convinced that it is because someone pushed him. He also runs funny - very stiff. One of his worst ever meltdowns happened on Wednesday at preschool. He became so upset when his class was playing a relay game. It was Cade's turn and he just could not go. He had a meltdown and was physically shaking. He became even worse when the teachers went ahead and let another kid have Cade's turn. They had a hard time calming him down.

I am not worried about Cade's intelligence. He is advanced for his age cognitively. I am not worried about his social skills (and therefore not worried about autism) because he does very well with his friends and he is very loving and snuggly with us. Mark and I are worried about Cade starting Kindergarten. What will happen when he has a meltdown at "real" school? It is time to do something. We are starting with an evaluation through the school system (because it is free). His evaluation is on Tuesday. I would appreciate any input and most definitely prayers for my sweet, sweet Cade.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm not really sure what advise to give you but I will certainly pray for the situation and that you find the answers you are looking for.

Danielle said...

Sweet Cade... I will certainly be praying for you guys! I didn't know he was having a hard time. You and Mark are such amazing parents, I know God will guide you in the right direction to help Cade become all that he is suppose to be. Keep us posted!

See-Dub said...

I'll be praying, too... asking for answers for Cade and some relief from the worry for you!

Philippians 4:7

Amy C said...

I will keep sweet Cade in my prayers. I definitly know what it it is like to worry. It will eat you alive if you let it. Cade is a great boy! We need to talk!

On another note, can Dylan and his officer friends not give me tickets either when they grow up. I just paid Southlake $144.00. Bryan is about to do the same in Benbrook.