Monday, April 02, 2007

Technology - The Time Saver?

Computer issues has become a part of my life. My laptop has had problems for a while. I believe my first mistake was buying a floor model (never, ever do that). Fortunately, the extended service plan was purchased so all repairs were done free of charge. Unfortunately, the repairs involved the computer being gone for at least 2 weeks. The real trouble started in August. My computer would no longer connect to the internet. I took it in for repair but the internet worked. Back home, no internet! I discovered that the internet would only work at the store where it was purchased (floor model = bad idea). They couldn't fix it because it worked for them although they would be happy to send a technician to my home for a large fee. No thank you! Finally, after 4 friends who are computer experts worked for hours on my computer, it worked!! It took about 6 weeks to correct that problem. In October, my computer would no longer work with the battery in the computer. It was sent off in November and came back fixed. Keyboard issues and freezing issues resulted in it being sent off in mid-December. This is when it really got fun! It came back with new problems. I dealt with them for a while because I really, really needed my computer. Two weeks after I got it back, I sent it off again. It came back 2 weeks later with the same problem. They immediately sent it right back. It was gone for a month!!!!!!! This is a computer I rely on for work! It finally came back. I had it for a grand total of a week when it completely crashed (yes, I back up). I took it back and they tried to fix it. Part of the service plan promises a replacement if a certain number of repairs are required. Two weeks later and a lot of customer service phone calls, I had a new computer!!!! I came home with my new computer on Wednesday night only to discover that our internet was down. From Wednesday through Saturday, I spent more than 2 hours on the phone with our internet provider. Finally, a very nice technician came on Saturday and repaired our internet!!! Now I have a new computer that I love and internet! Now I need to catch up on the huge pile of work that needs to be done. Maybe it would help if I didn't blog!

2 comments:

Sarah P said...

Yuck! We've had the same experience with our TV. It was a going-out-of-business sale and the only model they had left was the display. It's already been fixed once, gone black and white and back to color (thankfully) but loud sounds on it sound horrid and sometimes the picture doesn't fit in the screen. Well, at least we learned our lesson! And I'll never EVER buy from Ultimate Electronics again. Their electronics stink and so does their customer service.

See-Dub said...

Thanks to you two ladies, I have learned two valuable lessons tonight: Don't buy a floor model, and stay away from Ultimate Electronics! I'll keep that in mind if I ever get to shop for the laptop of my dreams.

And speaking of procrastination: I have a huge deadline Thursday for this extra assignment I took on before I knew I'd be advising yearbook again. So what am I doing? Reading blogs! Hooray for using my time wisely!!!