Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Teacher Lottery



I always worry about the kind of teacher that my boys will get for the year because the teacher makes such a big difference in how the year goes. For the most part, my boys have had excellent teachers. Chase's Kindergarten teacher was wonderful (you were wonderful, Mrs. Kelly). His first grade year had a rough start with a teacher who ended up being gone most of the time with pregnancy complications but the year ended with a wonderful teacher who really loved teaching and brought out the best in her students. He had another excellent teacher for second grade. Dylan had a good Kindergarten teacher. We "requested" (you cannot formally request a teacher) Chase's 1st grade teacher for Dylan and he got her. For Second grade we "requested" that Dylan be placed with the same teacher that Chase had - and he is! You know you have your child in the right class when all of the teacher's children are in that class. Chase has an excellent teacher for 3rd grade. I can tell that he will respond well to her. Even Cade is getting the preschool teachers that I hoped he would get. I feel like we have won the teacher lottery. Big sigh of relief!

Today was the first day of school. Everyone got up on time, had a good breakfast, and left in plenty of time for school. Dylan was sooo excited that he was being super silly (read annoyingly silly). He was also very nervous. He told me about the dream he had last night about all the kids in his class laughing at him. We talked about how you dream about things you are scared about and that is how your brain helps you with your fears. My poor baby! When we got to the classrooms, I was amazed at how all the children were sitting quietly at their desks working on worksheets. It was so organized and calm. Chase was being Mr. Cool. He did not want me to take his picture because it was too embarrassing. I cannot believe that my baby is starting to be too cool for his mom. I know that it will only get worse. Pickup was a disaster! I had to wait in line for close to 30 minutes and then a teacher had sent them where they did not belong so I had to find them. Hopefully tomorrow will go smoother. Dylan said he had a great day at school and Chase said that it was good (another example of the cool factor coming out). I know that this year will be a great year for both of them. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jacinda said...

I just wrote about meeting Gracie's teacher today. Glad you got good teachers for your kids! I think we're going to like Gracie's this year, too!

tamandscott said...

You make me nervous about what my parents say about me...:)

Jenna said...

Tammie,

I am sure that they feel like they won the teacher lottery when they get you!

tamandscott said...

Ok, I wasn't fishing for a compliment, but thanks for that:)

jettybetty said...

I just saw your comment on Jacinda's blog-and see you are in Keller--I've looked at your pictures trying to figure where you live (we live in Keller school district, too!)--and I think I have a guess!

Anonymous said...

Here's a question...is Dylan slouching in that first picture or is Chase starting to dwarf him? I can't believe how big Chase is getting! Poor Dylan...he is so super sweet and extremely smart, but needs some extra doses of confidence. Your boys have some of the most tender hearts! Reading about Dylan's dream reminded me of a conversation I had w/him that I meant to tell you about...remind me, okay?

Amy C said...

My comment must have gotten eaten. We both won the lottery. I am so happy. I hope Chase is feeling better soon from his Tonsils getting out!

Danielle said...

Jenna,
Thank you for that sweet comment about me in your post... in case you are wondering you remain my favorite family I have ever taught! You have such sweet boys and I know their teachers feel as if they won a huge prize after meeting you, Mark, and the boys. I know they'll have a great year!!!