Sunday, August 06, 2006

Chase is 9



I can't believe that 9 years ago our precious treasure came into our lives. I remember the night before he was born I started to have contractions. I did not tell Mark because he needed to be rested. I sat on the couch and watched Cheers because that was all that was on at that time of night. After the show was over, I could not remember one single thing that had happened on the show. I was not in pain, but my contractions were regular and I knew that we would be going to the hospital shortly. I took a shower and then began to pack my bag. Mark woke up at that time and asked me what I was doing? That really made me laugh (later that is) because I was 9 months pregnant and packing a bag at almost 3 in the morning - what did he think I was doing? Mark got in high gear and we left for the hospital. I told Mark not to speed until I noticed that my contractions were 3 minutes apart. Mark sped up a little and we arrived at the hospital. I had this huge fear that I would not really be in labor and they would send me right back home. Since I was dilated to a 7 it was definitely labor. I was feeling really good until they broke my water then I was in tremendous pain. The doctor finally came to give me my epidueral and he kept calling me Gina. Sweet relief finally came. At 8:29 a.m. my sweet, baby Chase came into the world. He was grunting, but Mark and I did not realize that anything was wrong. Mark followed him to the nursery but they kicked him out because they told him that Chase was having trouble breathing! Mark came back to the room but did not tell me that anything was wrong. The pediatrician came in to talk to me and let me know what was going on with Chase. Chase aspirated meconium during his birth and developed pneumonia. I was so emotional that morning. Here my precious baby boy was sick. Later we were able to visit him in the nursery but we could only hold him for a short time and only while holding oxygen to his mouth. My sweet baby boy. I thought he was the most beautiful baby whom I had ever seen. He was not able to stay in the room with us, but we were allowed to visit him. I remember that I would wake up in the middle of the night and go and check on him. He was laying under an oxygen tent. One time I went in the middle of the night and he was not under the oxygen! The nurse told me that he had turned the corner and was doing much better. Mark and I had to leave him in the hospital on Friday. That was so hard to leave my baby. Good friends who lived by the hospital let us spend the night at their house so that I could bring milk to Chase (I was not being allowed to breastfeed yet). He was cleared to go home on Saturday after home health was set up (he required intravenous antibiotics for a week after his dismissal). Our insurance company was being very difficult but the pediatrician worked so hard to make it possible for Chase to go home. We finally were able to bring our sweet treasure home. I loved him deeply from the moment of his birth and that love grows stronger every day. He is a wonderful boy and Mark and I are so proud of him. In honor of his 9th birthday, here are 9 things about Chase.

1) He is truly a sweet and kind boy. He is loving (most of the time) to his brothers and to others. He is well liked because of his kindness.

2) He has a sensitive soul. He still prays every night for the babies that we lost.

3) He loves his baby brother and is such a wonderful helper with him - a lot of times without being asked to help with him. His baby brother adores Chase!

4) He already loves God and tries to live like God wants him to live.

5) He loves, loves, loves snakes.

6) He really enjoys science and math.

7) He does not like to read.

8) He loves spaghetti. He is a very healthy eater, always has been.

9) He is a bit of a know-it-all. If he reads something or learns something or thinks he reads something he stores that information and will debate you and debate you if you disagree. It really makes me laugh because I was sooo much like that as a child.

Chase truly is our treasure and we love him so much. God blessed us with Chase's precious soul 9 years ago. Happy Birthday, Chase. We love you! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy C said...

qHappy Birthday Chasssssssse!

Anonymous said...

I remember exactly where I was when you were having contractions, too....remember?? The only night in my LIFE that I was completely wide awake so much that I could NOT stay in bed. 6th session at Blue Haven. I went and sat on the porch of my cabin for quite awhile and then went and took a shower and piddled around until all my girls finally got up. Sure enough...as soon as I got up to the dining hall, I was told I had a message and I knew exaclty what it was!! I still think that's one of the coolest things that's ever happened!! Love you sister!!