Thursday, June 08, 2006

Some Things are not Fun

The one part about parenting that is not so much fun is when those teachable moments rear their ugly heads and you have to utilize them. Those are the times when I have to remind myself that my job is not to make my kids feel good all the time but to help them become strong, Christian men. It can be so hard! Dylan and Chase have been giving us teachable moments lately! Dylan gave me one last night that required many deep breaths before disciplining him so that my anger at his behavior did not dictate the punishment (by the way, I am sorry Amy). Chase decided that he needed to learn some things this morning, so sweet of him! Time to go repeat my mantra: I am molding Christian men, I am molding Christian men.

Of course, I remember being on the receiving end of some teachable moments when I was young. Like the time my brothers and I got in big trouble for getting on the roof (we could not figure out how Mom knew we were on the roof), or the time I got up and walked out of a performance of a high school singing group because I wanted to play (big trouble for that one). There are many others but I don't want to embarrass myself. I just hope that my boys "get" the lessons that we are trying to teach them. I also hope that I don't have to teach them the same lessons again.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Jenna-
I randomly came across your blog from my friend Kendall's blog, which I think you randomly came across. :) I saw that you're an adoption consultant and I'm very interested in that. Who do you work for/are there any openings? :) What kind of training do I need to have to be able to do that? I'm a first grade teacher, but I have such a heart for adoption. I have adoption in my family, and I definitely want to adopt someday.

Amy C said...

Keep up the great work moulding christian boys. That is a good mantra!