Saturday, February 21, 2009

Maggie

I have never been a big fan of dogs. They were fine, I just never envisioned that I would want one. I always preferred cats who were so much more low-maintenance. We have had one such low-maintenance cat for almost 14 years. She is a sweet one. Then, we obtained our very high-maintenance cat, Biscuit. After 4 years of peeing on the floor, biting my children, making all sorts of messes in the kitchen - well, let's just say that I am much less of a cat person. But if you had told me a year ago that I would be spending good money on a puppy that I WANTED, then I would have called you crazy. Fast-forward to this year:

My sister-in-law has a very sweet dog. If I were ever to want to own a dog, then I would want a dog like hers. A small, mellow, soft, cuddly, non-yipping dog. She decided to breed her dog one time. The boys desperately wanted one of these puppies, and I was not opposed because I know how sweet the mom dog is. Mark was reluctant, but he was going to agree. We were number 5 of 6 of people on the list for a puppy. We found out that she was having 6 puppies! Perfect, right? Well, only 5 of the puppies made it, which still left us with a puppy. The only problem was that it was going to be a boy puppy. I am sorry, I LOVE my boys, but I am so done having boys. I had zero desire for a male dog. Much to the wails of my boys, I passed on the puppy. I was not popular (except for with #6 on the list, I was very popular with her). I told the boys that we could look at getting a puppy later in the year. Well, one night in January, I was looking on the internet at different breeders for the same type of dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel). I was bookmarking various breeders because I was thinking that the end of summer would be a good time to add a puppy. Then, I ran across this picture
That was it!! I was done for! I knew immediately that this puppy was for our family. I went and did some serious begging. After Mark got over his initial shock that his non-dog-loving wife was begging for a puppy, he gave me the all-clear. Well, it sounded like the all-clear to me. He insists that he had not agreed yet. In his defense, he is a dog person. He had nothing against getting a dog except for the work that comes with a puppy. But really, how can you resist such a cute, cute puppy! Plans were made to get her in February! The boys were beyond excited. Initially, I was going to pick her up the morning of February 19th. The boys begged to skip school to go with me, so we changed the pick-up date to the 18th in the evening. We decided to go as a family. She is truly the cutest, sweetest puppy that I have ever seen. Mark is in total agreement. We all love her. She was immediately drawn to Mark. She had been around men, so I think that she was used to men. She is cute, cute, cute! New pictures to come soon, but here are the pictures that we received while we were waiting for her.



The next batch that we received









The final batch




3 comments:

Krista said...

Your puppy is precious; our kids would love her! =) I enjoyed reading all of your updates; you've been busy! =)

See-Dub said...

Too, too cute!

Stacey said...

oh my, that is some cuteness!