Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Broken Arm

Although this happened in January, I want to be sure that it gets remembered. Sunday, January 1st, Cade and Dylan were playing upstairs. Cade was on the stepstool in the bathroom when he fell and hurt his arm. He was really crying and I could tell that he was hurt more than normal. He is our dramatic child so sometimes it is hard to tell. Mark really thought that he was just overreacting. (Not to mention the fact that our deductibles reset on January 1st!!!) Mark believed that Cade could tell I was worried and was just feeding off of that. I really thought something was wrong because he was not wanting to move the arm and he was not sucking his thumb (his sucking thumb was on that side). I went off to church that evening with the other boys and Mark stayed home with Cade. I called to check on him and Mark finally agreed that something was wrong. I took Cade to the doctor with a neighbor (Mark had been a little sick and was not able to go with me). The x-ray was the worst part. Cade was SCREAMING! It hurt to move his arm. Sure enough, it was broken. Luckily, it was the mildest break. They splinted his arm and gave him an outer space gown (he did not have a shirt on). Yes, Daddy felt bad about it! We went a few days later for the cast. Cade really wanted a yellow one (his favorite color) and Mommy was hoping for a brown one (can you imagine the dirt that would show up on a yellow one). Fortunately for Mommy, they didn't have yellow and Cade had to settle for purple. He was very proud of his cast. He got it off on January 26th! He had to have another x-ray and he was terrified of that. He was holding on to me for dear life and was screaming, "Get me out of this place!" After he realized that it wouldn't hurt this time, he was fine. He still loves his outer space gown and would wear it all the time if I would let him. Hopefully this will be his last broken bone! I can always hope! Here are some pictures of him with his splint and outer space gown, his cast, and him demonstrating how he broke his arm.

No comments: