Friday, October 09, 2009

World Trade Center

I was taking a shower and listening to a CD while Chase and Dylan were watching PBS. I was pregnant with Cade at the time. We were getting ready to go to the zoo with some friends. I turned off the CD and turned on the radio. They were talking about a plane flying into the World Trade Center. At first, I thought that it was a bad radio stunt. My mind did not want to accept the truth. I turned on the t.v. and there it was, the truth. The second plane hit not long after I had the t.v. on. We did go to the zoo that day. Constantly watching the news was not helping anything. It was a day that I will never forget. It was a day that I hope no one ever forgets. I did not know anyone who died on 9-11, but it does not matter. We all lost so many and so much on that day.

I visited the World Trade Center site in January 2003. There were protests all around the city, but not there. It was eerily quiet at the site. There was a makeshift memorial. It was emotional. This trip was different. They have started construction so you can't get very close to the site. There is a museum, but it costs money and none of us felt like spending more money. Even though things had changed, the emotion of being there where such a horrific thing happened has not changed. We will never forget.

The fire station at the WTC


The firefighters who died on 9-11



The construction site
The flag



No comments: