Friday, November 09, 2007

Night Night, Sweet Baby Boy

Showertime is over and the sun is down. Nate wraps up in his towel and I hold him tight. He loves to be a "burrito". I change him into some cute pajamas. Tonight, they are the lizard pajamas. Chase thinks that Nate is the cutest thing in these pajamas. I tell Nate that it is time to go to bed. He is not thrilled by that idea so I mention reading a book. With that thought in his head, he heads for the stairs. No longer am I allowed to carry him up the stairs, but his majesty will allow me to hold his hand. He puts his soft, chubby little hand in mine and we go up the stairs. He crawls into his bed and begins to look at the pile of books that he stores there. I snuggle in next to him and we talk about what book he wants to read. There is his tractor book (most nights he wants to read that one), there is the mouse mess book (this book is well loved and falling apart), there is a Bob the Builder color book (he is really wanting to learn his colors right now), a Kermit the Frog potty book, and a Barney animals on the farm book. Most of the books I know by heart. We have added embellishments to the tractor story. It needed some tractor sounds and a scream where the tractor is going to fast and can't stop!! AAAAAAAY - the DRAMA! The book is done and it is time for a prayer. Nate snuggles in underneath his covers. He loves to be under the covers. He holds his bears tight. He moves his sweet, soft, clean body close to me. He wiggles around like a cat trying to find its sweet spot to sleep. I inhale his precious boy smell. Could anything possibly smell better than my clean boy? I memorize the moment because it will be gone way too soon. We say a prayer. I prompt him and he adds the things that he is thankful for - sometimes he thanks God for Chase more than once. I get up to leave and a sweet baby arm reaches out and grabs me around the neck. "Wait, Mama. Wait." Who can resist that? A little more snuggling then, "Night, night my sweet baby boy."

3 comments:

Stacey said...

the best!!

See-Dub said...

Thanks for sharing that with us! So precious!

Amy C said...

so very sweet!