Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dylan's Update

I don't have any recent pictures of Dylan. I need to remedy that. Dylan continues to be super sweet, but he has been in a little bit of trouble lately. I have had him doing extra chores as some behavior modification. Is it bad when I am glad that my boys get in trouble so that I can get some extra work done? One of the things that I have him do is play with his baby brother. He and Nate have really bonded recently. They were playing tennis outside. Nate found this to be great fun. The first thing Nate did the next morning was grab the tennis racket and try to get Dylan to go outside with him. He was heartbroken when Dylan wouldn't comply (it was a school morning). Dylan really enjoys his brother's admiration. It is super sweet.

Dylan just competed in the spelling contest for UIL. He did not study much at all, and he still was a word away from placing. It is funny to me how different Chase and Dylan are when it comes to spelling. Chase is blessed that he lives in the era of spell check! School has always been super easy for Dylan, but he is facing some challenges this year. I would appreciate input from the teachers who read my blog. Dylan is very bright and he tends to live in his own world quite often at school. He lacks focus at times, but grades are not an issue. He has always had organizational challenges, but it has never presented a problem before. He has always been in classrooms with very organized teachers. This year, his teacher is a bit challenged in the area of organization. Dylan's folder is a mess, and he loses things all of the time. I have met with his teacher, and we are trying to find a way to help Dylan learn and retain some better organizational skills. Honestly, he will never be good in this area (my apologies in advance to whomever he marries). I truly believe that it is just in his nature to be a mess (the stain remover that I use on his clothes and the holes in the knees of his pants!). I feel that he must develop some coping strategies in order to function effectively in life. He can't depend on other's organizational skills to help him. Any advice?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love the new look of your blog!!!