Monday, November 17, 2008

A Word or Two about Potty Training

I can sum up how potty training is going with Nate with 2 words - Amazingly BAD! He is not interested AT ALL. We talk about how diapers are for babies and underwear is for big boys. He answers, "Diapers are for Nate." He is refusing to even sit on the potty. I left him naked the other day hoping to encourage some potty action. He needed to take care of some dirty business, so I brought him to the potty. He was holding on to the doorframe, screaming and crying about how he did not want to sit on the potty. The diaper was put on, and the business was taken care of in a prompt manner. Potty training is off for right now. Maybe when he is 4!!!

5 comments:

Lori said...

oh goodness, very good to see what it actually means when parents say... my kid isn't ready.

Laurie said...

I feel your pain Jenna! I can't get Collin potty trained either! I thought he would be so easy since he sees Brady go on the potty but he has NO desire! He likes his diapers! I am begining to think Logan may be pottty trained before Collin is!

Devona said...

I know exactly what you're going through! I had the same problem with Jacob. It was so frustrating, he wouldn't even try to go! I would bribe him, I'd put cheerios in the potty, I looked up every trick in the book online and nothing. Finally, about 4 months ago, when Jacob was 3 1/2 yrs old, all Jaime said to him was "I want to see you make the water yellow". He's been potty trained ever since.

Stacey said...

i know it feels discouraging, but he will do it eventually.

so insightful and encouraging advice, i know! :)

Holly Moulder said...

If he's not ready, he's not ready so it's great that you're not forcing it. For Bethany, it just took another child's encouragement. Maybe after the holidays, his big brothers can take over. Bethany is taking a long time being consistent about it. Hadley just got it and that was that. So maybe Nate is just waiting until he's sure he can master it.